Google’s Search is currently the best search engine you can use today.
It is not only the best but also the most used. It has over 90% of the total search market share.
Imagine you can’t get the information which was only one click away for 30 freaking minutes!
In August 2013, Google with all its services went down for 2 mins and the whole internet traffic went down by a whopping 40%.
Let us see what will happen if Google went down for 30 minutes.
- For the first few minutes, people will think that their internet connection is having a problem. They will not even check if other sites are working. Apart from the Search feature many, like me also use it as an internet checking tool.
- After a few minutes, many will call their internet service providers and check if their own machines are working properly
- Many will then realize that it is true and but will remain in shock for a few minutes. In their disbelief, they may desperately try to refresh Google’s homepage.
- People will start taking screenshots of the Google Server Error Page which will most likely be the 500 Error Page.
- All your social media accounts will be flooded with “OMG” type of posts with images of those screenshots.
- People will search for alternate search engines – but wait. Most of them don’t know about any other search engines.
- Other search engines like Yahoo, Bing and DuckDuckGo will see huge traffic surge.
- Many other Google services will also come down like Gmail which will affects the productivity of the whole world by a huge margin.
- The revenue loss will be tremendous not only for Google but all other companies that rely on Google for their services.
- Amidst all the chaos China will remain in peace.
- People at competitive companies will throw a party for the night.
- When things will restore Google will release their statement to press explaining the cause.
- Tech Savvy people will debate on the cause of the outage.
- Many will speculate that some kind of terrorists or hacker groups is responsible for the outage. Some hackers will be brought in media houses for their opinions.
- Many bloggers and YouTubers will have some nice topics like “Why Google went down? Here is the reason”, “How we are too dependent on Google?”
- A lot of users may fear happening it again and may switch to some other service.
- BuzzFeed and ScoopWhoop will be filled with articles like “10 things to do when Google goes down the next time”, “10 Ways in which this Google Outage is much more than what you think?”.
- Quora will be filled with questions like “Why did this happen?”, “What do you think about this outage?”, “Was my data leaked?”, “will it happen again?”
It will be total chaos if Google goes down for 30 minutes. Even though there are many other services available. It only points to how dependent we have become on Google and how Google has also managed to provide such a good experience to their users.